Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Arden vs. The Potty--Round 1



Round one goes to Arden. She is a stubborn girl and has completely refused to have anything to do with the potty. Occasionally, she will sit on it for a millisecond and then jump off, proudly proclaiming, "I did it! I did it!" Um, not exactly.

Arden's current strategy of potty training avoidance involves shifting the blame.

Me:Arden, are you stinky?
Arden (wide-eyed innocence): No, sissy.
Me: Sissy is not stinky. She goes on the potty.
Arden: Daddy.
Me: Daddy is at work. It's not Daddy.
pause
Arden: Cow poop.

Efforts to shame her into going on the potty have failed as well.

Me: Arden, big girls go on the potty.
blank stare
Me: Sissy goes on the potty.
Arden: Daddy?
Me: Yes, Daddy goes on the potty.
Arden: Mommy?
Me: Yes, Mommy goes on the potty.
Arden: Nana?
Me: Yes, Nana goes on the potty.
Arden: Jack?
Me: Yes, Grandad goes on the potty.
Arden: Maw-Maw?
Me: Yes, Grandma goes on the potty.
Arden: NO!
Me: Yes, she does.
Arden: No! No No Maw-Maw potty.

Round one may go to Arden, but we're not out of the fight yet. I do have a bad feeling I may be buying one of those musical potties soon though.

3 comments:

Dana said...

OK this made me laugh very hard. I have a feeling that Arden is going to win more rounds than Mohammad Ali!!! This girl has a mind of her own. I'm not sure where she gets that MEREDITH!!!!

Love you! Dana

Brandi said...

I am going through the same thing with my son. A woman at Walmart (isn't it crazy where we find advice sometimes?) actually told me she potty trained her grandchild with Cheerios - I tried it and it seems to be working. I know this may not be so easy for a girl - but my son liked the target practice - even when he sat on the potty.

Party of Five said...

meredith--it was a nice surprise to talk to you this morning. I meant to tell you that I am a regular reader of your blog; I've looked at it since you told me about it at ashley's birthday dinner.

rhonda bramell