Wednesday, August 22, 2007

I used to think she was the quiet one

When Claire was about two months old, I took her to my old job to show her off. My old co-workers were oohing and aahing over her and I was bragging, shamelessly, of course, about what a good baby she was, never cried, never fussed, etc... My friends were taken with Claire, amazed at just how sweet she really was.
And then my former boss, Mike, said something that popped into my head the other day. "You better watch out, she'll trick you into having another one."
I looked at him, confused. Of course I would have another one, and she'd be just as sweet and precious and perfect as Claire.
And I did. And she is. But much, much, much more wild.
In case you don't believe me, here is a list of ways to tell when you have a wild child:
1. Random strangers comment on how "lively" and "busy" and "spirited" your child is.
2. You get paged to the nursery to change her diaper because, well, nobody feels like doing the diaper rodeo.
3. She makes her older sister cry when she does any of the following (and she does these quite often): changes the TV channel, steals a toy or book from her and then runs away laughing, bites her toes, knees or any other available body part, drinks from her sippy cup.
4. The only thing she wants to do on the couch is run.
5. The parents at gymnastics remind you that there is a playroom available.
6. When you get her out of her crib, she's off and running. And doesn't stop until bedtime.
She may be wild, but I wouldn't take her any other way. Arden Kate, I love your energy and spirit and pray you never lose it. But it would be nice if you could bring it down a few notches every once in a while...

2 comments:

Summer said...

We got that child the first time around so we are banking on Bode being a little calmer. But the only thing worse than a strong willed child is a weak willed one. I wouldn't trade it for anything (well, right now I might trade it for a good nights sleep...).

Summer said...

That is absolutely halarious (the sleeping naked thing). Not a mental image a Dad wants to have of his daughter!